Avante Magazine Interview
I'm great! Currently on a break from work as we gear up to start shooting season 3 so I'm enjoying the free time while it lasts - but also excited and eager to get back to work!
Let's talk about your role as Buck on 9-1-1. How did you land the role?
I auditioned! My agents sent me the audition the day before I was going to go in and read with FOX casting so I got right to work on the scenes. I had only been sent three scenes, no script or character breakdown so I had a blank canvas to do my work on!
What was the audition process like?
I went in and read with the FOX casting department. They liked what I brought to the reading so I went back in a couple of days later and met with Ryan Murphy, Tim Minear and the director who was attached to direct the pilot at the time! It was a pretty brief meeting but I was able to present my work the way I wanted and thankfully they saw something in it and a week later I got the call about the part!
Are there things that you relate to as Buck?
Plenty. We are both very much discovering who we want to be in life together. It's really interesting to play a part that is mirroring your own life in such a profound way. He has a lot of heart, he's extremely brave and I think these are traits that, the longer I keep on playing him, the more I start to see them grow in myself.
What can you say about the season 3?
I can't say much yet because I still don't know. I really loved the last episode of season 2 - it set the character up for an exciting journey in season 3, and I can't wait to see what happens next!
How is it working with the cast?
It really is such a pleasure. I get to learn so much from them both professionally and personally. They have become true friends and I pinch myself regularly that I get to spend so much time with them!
You do a lot of stunts on the show, has there even been a moment where you questioned why you do this?
Absolutely not. Getting to do the stunts is one of the biggest perks of the job to me.
In an era with shows such as Chicago Fire and Grey's Anatomy, how do you think 9-1-1 stands out?
I think 9-1-1 brings a real message of hopefulness with it. Also we get to see three departments of first responders, something the other shows don't do. Our show covers such a wide spectrum of emergency calls so I think it shines a real light on the skillsets these first responders are required to have!
Besides acting, do you have any other interests?
A few! I've been a vegan for three years and am really finding my way to contribute more and more to society. Trying to find the most useful ways for me to utilize my growing platform.
How have you been?